2.24.2011

Dance Yourself Clean


Dear Readers,

There's is something that I love to do. I have loved it since I can remember. Something I love so much, I do it every day. Eat? Well, yes, but that's not it. Watching television? Oh, I love that too, but no cigar. I love to dance.

The idea of me dancing may surprise, even repulse some of you. Even more surprising is that I have my upbringing in Rupert, Idaho to thank for it. I took a few ballet lessons from a woman named Ann Marie upstairs from what is now a Mexican wedding dress shop, but she moved shortly after I began. After that, I had to turn to the best teacher of all: MTV. Hours and hours were spent in front of the television, dancing around the small living room like I was the guest of honor at Studio 54. I would dance to anything and everything, but rap was my favorite. And when I finally made it to junior high, the thing I looked forward to most were those awful dances in the gym. The "DJ" would pump such classics as "The Electric Slide", and "Unforgettable". It didn't matter how crappy the music was though, I was killing it on the dance floor all night.

Please understand that I was never the kind of dancer that was able to memorize moves or routines. I never had a desire to be on a dance team or clog professionally or anything like that. My moves were always unrefined, spastic even. However, when I moved to Washington D.C. and started dancing at clubs there, I learned some things that white girls from Idaho typically don't have the privilege to. Often being the only white girl in the club, I was taken pity on and was some what of a novelty. My beautiful friends Suki and Giselle would keep a close eye on me, and critique me at the end of the night. Before I knew it, I was killing it on the dance floors there as well.

Now, here we are in Boise. And I have a husband obsessed with music. We have 57 days worth of dance your heart out good times music on our iTunes playlist. Shay hates to dance, but he can put one hell of a set together. I would feel bad that he doesn't dance with me, but I have a list of friends who gladly will. And we all take our dance time seriously. My friend Deana had a birthday party last week, and she had Shay dj at it, and we danced for the entire 4 hour set. Once, in my friend Loren's basement apartment, our friend Pat put on a personal dance party for 8 or 9 of us and we danced all night. Some of my best times over the last few years involve Jenny, Lojo, Chris, Courtney and a dance floor.

So this morning, as I get ready to bake a cake for an order, I will put on LCD Soundsystem's newest album, and will "Dance Myself Clean" until the cake is ready frost.

Sincerely,
h.

No comments:

Post a Comment