9.26.2011

And Here We Have Idaho


Dear Readers,

I had the honor and the privilege of attending my friend Jessica's wedding in Salt Lake City this past weekend. The sunset ceremony overlooking the Salt Lake valley was beautiful, the food and dancing were divine, but spending time with Jessica and the Knickerbocker family and their friends was the most enjoyable part of the weekend for me. I haven't met a whole lot of people from New Jersey in my lifetime, but I now have several New Jersians (yes, I just made that word up) that I can call friends.

These new friends of mine got a lot of pleasure out of making fun of Idaho. You know, the usual potato jokes (or the corn jokes for those who confused us with Iowa), or the wondering of where Idaho is geographically located, and the genuine surprise that we were normal, functioning people who don't have thick country drawls or bib overalls. After the novelty wore off, however, I was able to convince at least one or two of them that Idaho is a wonderful place and "...if you would only give it a chance you would fall in love with it!"!

12 years ago, I moved back to Idaho and was making my plans to move away from it again soon. Obviously, my plans fell through. At the time, I didn't have a good word to say about it. Still bitter and resentful of my experience growing up in a small town with some awfully small minded people, I wasn't able to recognize how unique and fortunate I was to be from Southern Idaho. As I've grown and matured, my love and affection for my home state has become more and more obvious and a part of me. It's no wonder, really; I'm part of the 4th generation on one side and 3rd generation on the other to be born and raised in Idaho. My family has been in this state before it was called one. They were the first to work the land they lived on, they helped to build and make mines profitable, and they were some of the earliest workers in the sugar industry that still contributes greatly to the state's economy.

My Grandpa Jack was born in Stanrod, Idaho, right on the Utah border. My Grandma Donna was born in Burley, Idaho near where the courthouse stands now. My Grandpa Cal was born in Malta, Idaho. And my Grandma Hazel was born in Rigby (also the birthplace of television). Both of my parents were born in Rupert, and my sister's and I were all born within 2 1/2 hours of it. I guess you could say, this state is a part of my family heritage. Our roots run deep here, and although I didn't realize it until just the last couple years, there's something to sticking close to your roots.

Beyond the sage brush and farmland of southern Idaho, when you drive the stretch of freeway between Rupert and Boise (known for it's peculiar stench, wacky roadside attractions like the now defunct "Jet Ski Pond", and long empty space between Mountain Home and anywhere else), you follow the pathway of my heart. Although my family keeps me connected to Southern Idaho, my heart and mind rest in Boise.

Boise and I have been through a lot together. Growing up I'd look forward to my week long trips to my Aunt Ruth's house on Desert Avenue more than anything else. I've viewed every inch of the city from the top of Table Rock, to the highest peak at Wild Waters and back down to the end of Hill Road. I've watched friends come and go and then come back again (it's a hard lesson to learn that life is life no matter where you go, but life in Boise ain't that bad). I got married here. I had my son here. I've watched my nieces and nephews be born and grow up here. I've made a solid second family of friends here. I've witnessed the power of community, the kindness this city has to offer, and have first hand experienced the love the city offers in both tragic and joyous situations.

Beyond Boise's borders, I have to give shout-outs to the rest of the state: Stanley and all that beautiful land they call the Sawtooths, your beauty is as breathtaking as your lakes are cold; Northern Idaho where your enthusiasm, whether it be for white supremacy or scenery, helps to make this great state unforgettable; to the rivers and lakes, the snowy peaks and lava flows, to every ski hill and pile of manure, I salute you and I sing your praises. I hope to represent Idaho well. For it is, in my mind, the greatest state in this nation. Even if it is as red as the day is long.

Sincerely,
h.

2 comments:

  1. Writer's Note: I would like to acknowledge a mistake I made. My Grandma Hazel was born in Idaho Falls, ID, not Rigby. My apologies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 2 Writer's Note: Granpa Cal was born in Malad, not Malta. The small towns get all mixed up in my mind! Sorry!

    ReplyDelete