11.07.2011

Lucas Turns 8, great Great GREAT!


Dear Readers,

This coming Saturday marks a very important and significant occasion. As of 10:00am November 12, 2011, Lucas turns 8 years old. I know your first thought is, "Wow! I didn't know Heather had a baby when she was in high school!" Although I'm flattered by your suggestion that I am much younger than I am, this blog is about my son, not me.

Yesterday he and I were driving to my sister Kate's house for Sunday dinner. We were having a conversation about his upcoming birthday party when he said something (for the life of me I can't remember what it was) that sounded just like something Loren would have said. I don't know how I've missed it until now, but it occurred to me that he has come into his own personality and it's spiced and sweetened with the personalities of those who have been around him most. I got a little choked up at the thought of him getting so big, and even more choked up in considering how fortunate I've been as a mother to have such wonderful people around to help in the raising of Lucas. Here are just a few examples:



The above picture is of my Grandma Hazel and my Grandpa Cal. Unfortunately they both left this Earth before Lucas joined it, but they are influential none-the-less. Lucas' middle name, Calvin, is after this great man. He set a benchmark example in compassion for me, and in turn for Lucas. Without a doubt, Lucas is one of the most loving and compassionate people I've ever had the pleasure to meet, and I would like to think it comes from his Braegger DNA (not to mention the Badgers, the Rices and the Plummers). He definitely lives up to his namesake.





Lucas has some of the best grandparents a kid could ask for. Grandma Kristie, Papa David, Grandma Paula, and Papa John have been important and constant figures in his life since day one. He loves to visit Rupert to visit King's and go on outdoor adventures with the Grandparents Badger. Riding motorcycles and finding other ways to freak out his mom is a favorite pastime with Papa John. And any minute spent with Grandma Paula is amazing and looked forward to. You can see any and all of his grandparents in Lucas, and he knows just how lucky he is to have such a loving bunch of them.





On any given day, Aunt Andrea or Aunt Kate (my sisters) will take credit for raising Lucas. Both would be right. Lucas loves them both very much, and loves to spend time with them. He inherited Andrea's love of marshmallow milkshakes and Kate's scorn for anything stupid. When asked which is his favorite aunt, he is very diplomatic (and very much like his Grandma Kristie) when he says he loves them both the same. Uncle AJ is always down for a good excuse to play video games, and Lucas is always happy to oblige.



I carry a little guilt over the fact that Lucas is an only child. I think back to my days of fighting incessantly with my sisters, and can't help but think that maybe he's missing out on something. Then again, where Lucas lacks in siblings, he gained in cousins. Sam, Elise, Jack, Lucy, Annie, and especially Max have filled what would otherwise be a sibling less void in his life. They laugh, they fight, they get into crazy mischief and usually end up in some sort of trouble together. He is lucky to have such a great group of cousins to learn the ways of the world with. If anything else, Lucy has taught him a very colorful vocabulary indeed.






For most people friends come and go. For the Plummer's, they stay the same. Chris, Loren, Jason (not pictured), Aaron, Andrew, P.L., Jenny (not pictured), Saratops, not to mention a few others throughout the years (that means you, Drew and Lacey) have been some of the biggest influences in Lucas' life. He's learned valuable life skills from them, such as how to survive a street gang attack, the proper handling of a bull whip, and the sweet satisfaction of beating a bunch of adult men at Battlefield. He's also learned the importance of friendship by watching the camaraderie between us grow, and recognizes this group of extraordinary people as family. His snark, his sense of humor, his sense of responsibility, and his ability to order his mom coffee at Dawsons and his own bagel at Alia's has all been derived from his friend family. And at least once a week he says to me, "Boy I sure do miss Loren.", once again demonstrating that sweet, compassionate side of him.



Lucas has the most amazing imagination, and usually chooses to show it through drawing. He gets that from his dad. Lucas can convince you that he's listening, and then shake his little head and ask, "What were you saying?". He gets that from his dad. Video games, fascination with science fiction, Star Wars, and the biggest little heart this side of the Mississippi, all of them attributes of his father. Calm and patient, loving and thoughtful, soft spoken and a critical thinker, all indications that Lucas is Shay's son. Really, he couldn't ask for a better dad, and we're both lucky to have him.



As for me, well, I'm not too sure what I've given Lucas besides my eyes and an extra tender heart. But I know that he has given me a few things. I didn't know I wanted to be a mom until he was born, and at that I point I realized I could never imagine not being one. He's taught me the value of taking your sweet time. He helped my heart to grow to an unprecedented size. Lucas has instilled in me a sense of devotion and loyalty that knows no boundaries. Everything in my world shifted when he entered into it, leaving it a far sunnier and fun place to be.

So I ask you, dear readers, to join me in wishing young Lucas a superb and memorable 8th year of life. May it be as sweet and fun and as wonderful as he is.

Sincerely,
h.

2 comments:

  1. I love Lucas! Happy Birthday Little Guy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tears of pride are flowing down my cheeks for sweet Lucas. Happy Birthday! Love, Cousin Odd.

    ReplyDelete