2.23.2010

Humble Beginnings

Dear Readers,

Yesterday I was listening to NPR (a shock, I know) and was lucky enough to hear an interview with His Holiness the Dalai Lama. A few years ago I had the wonderful experience of getting to see him speak in person in Sun Valley. Funny enough, just hearing him on the radio evoked the same reaction that I had when I heard him speak before. I can feel myself become enthralled in what he has to say; his messages of compassion, humility, and servitude toward your fellow men is so logical and precise that it almost doesn't make sense to have it come from a religious leader.

One of the things he spoke about on the radio was how as a child, after he had been found to be the Dalai Lama and was removed from his poor village to live in the monastery, he didn't have other children to play with. But he found playmates in the monks who swept the floors and were the care takers of the buildings. They taught him games, and although he was one of the foremost religious figures in the world, the care takers would not let him win the games they played unless it happened of his accord. They didn't have to do it. How many times do we as parents let our children win to spare them disappointment? His Holiness spoke of his gratefulness for losing those games though, as they planted the seeds of understanding humility in him.

I've put a lot of though into this concept over the last 24 hours. What is it to be humble? Is it the act of being shamed, or taught a lesson? Or is it the quiet reflection we experience after the shame or lesson, that helps us to understand what we did wrong and how we could do it better next time?

I hope I'm not what you would call a pretentious person. I have my areas of snobbery for sure, like literature, baking, and fine grades of heroin. But in my everyday life I would like to think that I'm a pretty easy going and understanding person. But after taking the last day and really reflecting my life, I know that there are improvements to be made, attitudes to change, and habits to kick. I'm a very fortunate person; I have a husband I adore, the best son in the world, and friends that fill my heart with joy every time I see them. I've had several wonderful opportunities present themselves as of late, and it humbles me just to know that I would be considered as a possible candidate for said opportunities. It's a wonderful feeling to step back from my life and be able to recognize that it's full of love, happiness, and potential. I've realized that having humility doesn't mean you have to be embarrassed or shamed or feel loss to recognize what's good in your life; rather it means to find the good in life, acknowledge and be grateful for it, and in turn try to spread the joy you have through service and compassion to those who are lacking.

Also, if you ever get the chance to listen to the Dalai Lama, I highly suggest you do so. For such a small man, he has a huge message to spread...and the greatest laugh in the world to boot.

Sincerely,
h.

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i truly believe we are so fortunate to have HH here with us to guide us and teach us. I <3 him!!! He is a perfect teacher of humility in my mind bc of how grand he truly is yet he had to endure pain beyond our comprehension and be in exile in order to become the teacher for the world that he is. To me, humility is about surrendering the notions of what we can do or can receive or obtain, and allowing ourselves to be open to what comes back after putting our honest efforts out there. i agree, its not about shame or loss... its about recognizing that beauty and gifts of life are larger than our desires, or our mental time line/to-do list for obtaining them.

    great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heath, I am so glad that you posted this today. The last week at work, everyone has been complaining about their husbands, their tiffs with their friends, their lack of excitement in life. Every day after hearing these rants, I come home and hug Trevor and thank him for being him. I kiss Madden and tell her how much I love her. I let Lincoln linger in my lap when all I really want to do is go to bed. I think of my family and smile at the memories we share. I so want to shout from the rooftops and tell all the wallowers to shut up and get on with it. I don't want to hear it from them any more. I feel like each day I come home, I am humbled to know the feeling of true belonging and I want to close up my castle and not let any of that negativity enter. Kudos to you for feeling it too. Let's spread some good cheer, shall we?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that two of the most positive people I know responded to this post! You know, I think the three of us could start a revolution of peace, happiness, and pie. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  5. you supply the pie and i'm there!
    maybe this is what we can do to change the world RE: today's post.
    big hugs!

    ReplyDelete