2.15.2010

Random Thoughts on Derbies and Pie

Dear Readers,

Happy President's Day to you! And a belated Happy Valentine's as well! I spent the weekend with friends, family, and cooking. Although it was exhausting, it was a lot of fun.

An interesting happened to me on Friday night. I was at my dear friend Caitlyn's house, and a man I don't know (I should mention this man was wearing a khaki kilt) told me I should "join the derby". "What?" I said. Apparently his girlfriend is on the Boise roller derby team, and he thought it would be a good idea for me to try out for the team.

Let's take a look at my graceful history:

-I've fallen countless times while just walking
-Hit by a car on my bike
-The last time I put on shoes with wheels was over 10 years ago and it ended with me falling in front of a large crowd of people who said "ow" in unison
-Broke my leg first time skiing (which led to 2 knee surgeries)

That's just what I can remember. I've whacked my head pretty hard a few times and it's very possible that I have lasting brain damage. Shay also pointed out to me that laying in bed hurts my old lady hip, not to mention walking. Assuming that logical advice is the best advice to follow, I'm going to surmise that avoiding roller derby whether as a participant or a spectator is probably the best thing for everyone. But thanks guy, I appreciate the suggestion.

With the exception of the idea to join "the derby", I had several people once again tell me that I should open a bakery. Are you sick of hearing about this yet? I hope not, because it will be a topic of conversation for a while. I made mini-blueberry pies, petite sugar cookies with vanilla frosting, and devil's food cupcakes with chocolate ganache frosting. I had a really good response from my goodies from perfect strangers, which I always enjoy. Not to discount the opinions of my loved ones, but they're required to be somewhat nice to me. Having a stranger pop a little pie in their mouth and say "That's amazing!" when they're not bound by friendship is a true compliment. I'm just waiting for the day that a stranger pops one my little treats in their mouth and says, "I want to give you $10,000 to open a bakery right now!".

One more little note, I just need to give my husband a shout out. We normally don't celebrate Valentine's Day, but this year Shay brought me flowers. It's stupid, but the sentiment was so sweet and heartfelt I can't help but smile every time I look at them. I'm very fortunate to have so a wonderful and thoughtful person in my life! If only he could say the same about me...

Sincerely,
h.

No comments:

Post a Comment