2.07.2010

Sitting With a Six Year Old


Dear Readers,

Well, the dream is over. I'm healing, as promised, and should be heading back to work tomorrow. I wish it were to my kitchen to bake instead of my office, but alas that is not my reality as of yet. I can't say that I haven't somewhat enjoyed laying around for the past several days though, because I absolutely have. Sure it's been somewhat painful, and most of it was lost in a drug haze, but hanging out with my family everyday has been really nice.

Today, for instance, was spent mostly with Lucas on the couch. He was feeling a little under the weather too, which meant that he wanted me to cuddle with him. What joy! What rapture! The bigger he gets, the less he wants to sit close to me, so when he welcomes it I take full advantage. I let him choose a movie, and we watched "Batman and Robin". This is the Batman that stars George Clooney, Chris O'Donnell, Arnold Schwarzenager (sp?), Alicia Silverstone, and Uma Thurman. I've seen some pretty lame movies in my time, but this one tops the charts. It was so stupid that I caught myself rolling my eyes at Yoshi (our cat), and could tell from his look that he agreed with me. Warner Brother's must have had 6 year old boys in mind for the demographic though because Lucas found it to be profoundly awesome and has been quoting the thought provoking dialogue all day. As I type this he's hiding around a corner from me with a Nerf gun in hand muttering some Iceman line under his breath about having to go to Arkum Asylum.

Those of you who have had the pleasure of meeting my son probably know what a sweet child he is. Relatively calm and collected, he's soft spoken like his dad and logical like his mom. He has an extremely dry sense of humor, has no patience for kids who throw fits, and is a real whiz at video games. Of course all parents think their kids are amazing, and I'm certainly not excluded from that group. What stands out to me as a very unique quality in Lucas is his level of compassion. His sensitivity is both a blessing and a curse, but I have no doubt that it will serve him well throughout his life. Sometimes I feel like he's growing up too fast and that he can already see through me and Shay (my sister Andrea likes to say that Lucas is raising us), but he would be too nice to say anything and will just go along with what we have planned for him.

I could write for days about my Lucas. About how proud of him I am. About how I never in a million years deserve such a wonderful child. There really isn't enough room for that though, is there? So instead I think I'll join him on the couch for another cuddle, even if it is accompanied by a crappy movie.

Sincerely,
h.

No comments:

Post a Comment