1.27.2010

Dreams of Sleep

Dear Readers,

I distinctly remember being a child that hated to take naps. I found them to be a ridiculous waste of time, and I was forever fighting them. Early bedtimes were a nuisance as well. It seemed like the party started after we went to bed at 8:00pm! After all, why would mom and dad be so anxious for us to go to sleep if there wasn't something awesome going on?

My sister Kate and I shared a room during our childhood. Our twin beds ran parallel to each other, and we spent many a night practicing our acrobatic skills as quietly as possible. In all honesty, it's the only time that we really got along. We'd make each other laugh so hysterically that we'd have to bite our pillows to muffle the joy. And if Kate fell asleep before me, I always had my trusty flashlight and a book. To this day I still read every night before bed, I guess old habits die hard.

Oh, how times have changed. I'm only halfway kidding when I say that today I would commit murder if it meant I could sleep for a half hour this afternoon. And when my clock hits 9:30pm, I'm excited to go to bed! Last week I stayed out talking to some friends until midnight, and I thought I was going to die. I can just picture my younger self shaking her head with a "you're so pathetic" look on her face. Whatever, young self, you don't know what your missing.

Sincerely,
h.

1 comment:

  1. amen to being prematurely middle-aged.
    i'm right there with you, heather.

    ReplyDelete