1.22.2010

The Land of the Free, the Home of the Billion Dollar Corporations

Dear Readers,

Now what sort of a blue blooded Democrat would I be if I didn't express my utter distaste and annoyance at our Supreme Courts decision to allow corporations to give as much money as they like to campaigning? Personally, I feel we've reached an all time low in our country if this is what's acceptable. I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure even some of my republican friends would agree with me on this.

The minute that we open the floodgates of open campaign contributions from the wealthiest conglomerates in the nation is the minute that you and I as the voting public give up our voice. It's amazing what dollars and cents can buy you these days, and even the presidency has a price that someone can afford. Just imagine the kind of money Sarah Palin will get from the oil companies. Hell, the insurance companies and pharmaceutical companies won't even need special interest lobbyists working for them any more, they'll pay to have the White House and Capitol filled with the leaders of their choosing.

Am I being a bit too doomsday here? Does it sound like I've opened a Bible to Revelations? Maybe it does. It's against my nature to be so pessimistic. But I can't help but feel let down. Occasionally I make the mistake of thinking that my voice matters, that somewhere along the way I will be able to make a difference; it's always disheartening to be reminded that I'm only fooling myself. Democracy is just a word after all, an idea at most. It could be a tyranny, and oligarchy, even communistic and it would be the same at this point.

I'm a patriotic American. I love my country. I know what people have gone through to become citizens of this nation. I appreciate our troops both present and past who fought and died for our freedom. And that is why I feel obliged to say: give the country back to it's people. We may squabble over the details, but that's our business, not the business of corporations and self interest groups. President Obama inspired us with visions of hope and change, and I haven't let those visions go. However, unless we as everyday citizens band together and make our voice one that's loud and clear, we can let go of those ideas. So on the count of three, everyone yell "GIVE US BACK OUR COUNTRY!". It's worth a shot, isn't it?

Sincerely,
h.

1 comment: